By Nina Fisher | Licensed Massage Therapist at Bodhi Massage and Wellness Center
Wabi-Sabi is an art of perception rooted in Japanese design and Zen Buddhism. It’s a blueprint for simple living, a mantra for inner beauty, and a guidebook for acceptance of all things as they are.
According to Wabi-Sabi nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. So relax! The scars, marks and wrinkles of our bodies are symbols of resilience. Follow these steps and be the beauty that you look to see in the world. Read on for 8 examples of natural elegance:
1. Celebrate your strangeness! Deviation is a condition of the cosmos. Trees, planets, even our hearts are asymmetrical and are never the exact same shape or size. Everything in nature, including you, is unique, exquisite, and irreplaceable. Decorate your life with elements that truly reflect who you are.
2. Find resilience. Be buoyant in rough waters and learn to ride the waves. Cultivate flexibility, and you won’t be so bent out of shape!
3. Keep it simple. Key component for Wabi-Sabi. Earth is full of invaluable and sustainable natural treasures. Learn to let go of the inessentials and surround yourself with what you love.
4. Be discerning in your everyday consumptions and purchases. Millions of dollars go to research on how to sell you more “stuff.”
5. Everything in moderation. Don’t over-do it, on anything. Get plenty of sleep.
6. Repair yourself even when you feel broken. You will be more beautiful than never having been broken at all.
7. Cleanliness is a clear indicator of your state of mind. Free yourself from yesterday’s debris and remove that clutter in the corners.
8. Appreciation is lovely. Sprinkle it often!